Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What I Love About Aurifil Lana Wool Thread

So many times, I'm asked what I love about Auriful Lana Wool Thread. Even though I think it's an easy answer, it is actually a long answer. If I could only answer in a few words they would have to be Quality, Consistency, Value, and Variety of Colors.

Working with Aurifil Lana Wool Thread on wool is so amazing. The wool thread just melts into the wool. It can either be hidden using an applique stitch, or show beautifully in a button hole stitch. The weight of the Lana Wool is perfect for all things applique with wool, whether a penny rug or a quilt.

With all the colors Aurifil has available in the Lana Wool Thread it is so easy to match any project I am working on. The Lana Wool Thread blends so beautifully with any wool.  I wish I had every color available in the Aurifil Lana Wool, but there are SO many!

I mentioned Quality. With all Aurifil threads, the quality is always the highest of any on the Market. I have never had one single problem and I have sewn hundreds of quilts with Aurifil thread. I have even machine quilted with the Lana Wool Thread using a size 100 needle. My threads never break, twist, or bunch up. When sewing by hand it glides through my projects like butter.

And then there is Value. At first glance Aurifil seems like it might be pricier than other threads but in reality it is a much better value. I made a white works quilt once that used barely over 1 spool of Aurifil 50 wt cotton thread. I estimated it would have taken over 30 spools of the other brand of thread I was using before switching to Aurifil.  So at first it seemed like it was more expensive but in the long run I saved a fortune. The thread is finer, even though it is the same weight, and you can get more on a bobbin than any other 50 wt thread.  Even with the Lana Wool Thread, I can use one spool and many many projects and never run out of thread. With all the wool applique I have done, I have only had to replace one spool of green because I ran out, and believe me, that's a lot of projects! Simply, you get what you pay for.

Aurifil Thread is Consistent. In all the hundreds of spools of Aurifil thread I have owned, and I have 50 wt. cotton for quilting and sewing, 12 wt. cotton for hand embroidery, and Lana Wool for my wool projects, I have never had one bad spool of thread. I never have to worry about knots and big chunks in the thread. Oh, and speaking of knots...when I do my hand work, it doesn't twist up and knot like other brands do.

Basically, the short answer to why I love Aurifil Lana Wool Thread is that it is PERFECT!



No comments:

Post a Comment